As I had anticipated, finally we are able to root Sony Xperia ZL and Z although with locked bootloader, we should appreciate Goroh_kun and Bin4ry from xda, who have made an easy method to root our phones. Now we only need a couple of minutes to gain root on this device, simply by running a Root and Restore script on Windows PCs, and then we will be able to run any apps that require root access such as Titanium Backup, Adaway, etc.
As we know, before the script is available, we have to unlock the bootloader in order to root Xperia ZL or Xperia Z. Unlocking does give advantages to modders but it requires necessary skills that not everyone has it.
Here is a step by step how to gain root access on Xperia ZL / Z by using Bin4ry’s script:
- If you ever connect your phone to your PC you don’t need to set up device drivers, but if you get an error message or the phone is not recognized by PC while running the script, then you should re-install the drivers, grab it here.
- On your device, go to Settings > Developers option to enable USB Debugging.
- Then allow your phone to install apk files (Superuser apps), enable Unknown source in Settings > Security.
- Connect Xperia ZL or Z with Windows PC through stock USB cable.
- Grab Root with Restore script by Bin4ry, then extract anywhere on your PC. Run RunMe.bat by double clicking it.
- Once the cmd window is show up, on the device type select New Xperia Root by Goroh_kun by typing 3.
- After the ZL or Z Xperia root process has been completed successfully, verify it by installing Titanium Backup or Adaway apps.