After waiting for months since it was first released, finally Motorola Atrix HD has managed to get root access by using Motofail2Go root exploit published by djrbliss from xda. Root could work on all versions of Atrix HD (MB886), AT&T or Bell Canada.
In order to gain root access we don’t need to unlock our android phone’s bootloader, since the root exploit can be used on phones with locked bootloader. Root access makes this phone a much more useful, we can optimize hidden features that previously could not be enjoyed such as tethering.
Update: Searching for Atrix HD running Jelly Bean OTA root method? Head to this page.
Guide to obtain root on Moto Atrix HD
- Make sure our PC has the latest adb drivers from motorola that can be downloaded here.
- Go to Settings > Developer options and enable USB debugging.
- Connect your phone to a computer using a USB cable.
- Download the Motofail2Go root exploit for MB886 here (mirror), and extract the zip file on your desktop.
- Double-click “run.bat” and follow the instructions carefully.
- Done. Your phone should get root access now.
- Download Root Checker apps from market to verify root.
In case you get an error message “run-as: Package ‘com.motorola.bug2go’ is unknown”, it means you need to perform a factory reset to clear data and cache partition, but make sure you backup all data (sms, contact, etc) on your android phone.