Although just released a month ago, the Verizon HTC One M8 Android development is very active. Today we can see custom recoveries (CWM/TWRP), several custom ROMs and mods that we can use to get the most out of this smartphone. If you are one of the users who frequently apply certain mods or ROMs, then we advise you to learn how to unroot and return your Verizon HTC One M8 back to stock with RUU.
By knowing how to restore your device to stock condition, you will be more confident when flashing a custom ROM or applying mods, since you are ready for all the bad things that could be happening on your smartphone. But you must know, restore VZW HTC One M8 back to stock procedures can only recover your device, but not with the contents or data that saved within the phone, so perform regular backups is necessary.
Actually, to return Verizon HTC One M8 back to stock does not always have to use an RUU, we can restore a Nandroid backup that has been created previously using a custom recovery (TWRP or CWM). Unfortunately, not everyone is aware of this, and most of them don’t have a stock Nandroid backup, as they immediately flash a custom ROM or mods.
- The latest version of HTC USB drivers for Windows, without HTC Sync.
- A computer with working adb and fastboot, both could run on Win, Mac or Linux.
- An Unlocked HTC One M8 smartphone, some RUU also need S-OFF to works, it’s required if you desire to change the UNLOCKED banner in bootloader.
- Download the stock ROM for VZW M8. Currently, the RUU only available in flashable zip, and you need to manually flash it via fastboot.
- Enable USB debugging on your phones Settings -> Developers options.
How to unroot and return Verizon HTC One M8 back to stock firmware with RUU (zip)
We assume here that your device is UNLOCKED with Firewater S-OFF, running a stock rooted or modified stock ROM with HTC Sense.
- Copy or move the RUU file in the same folder where the fastboot file is located.
- Go to fastboot folder, then open the Windows command prompt (CMD) from there.
- Try the following basic commands to find out if your device has been recognized by the computer and adb is working.
The results of the command will display your device’s serial number
- Then we need to boot into bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
Your phone will be powered down and then boot into bootloader mode.
- Run the following command to test fastboot:
- Now boot into RUU mode:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
While in RUU mode, you will notice an HTC logo on your phone’s display.
- Now flash the RUU (zip) file that you downloaded before.
fastboot flash zip RUU_File_Name.zip
Look at the output in the CMD window, if you get a message that requires you to reboot or flush, then you have to replicate all the steps once again. Just type “fastboot reboot-bootloader“
- If you get a success message without reboot request from the CMD output, you can reboot the system now:
Alternative method, VZW HTC One M8 return to stock without a computer
For those who do not have access to a computer, you can do the SD card method below. This method is also useful as an alternative when the fastboot method above does not work.
- Pull out your external SD card.
- Re-format the SD card to FAT32.
- Copy “0P6BIMG.zip” into SD card root directory.
- Turn off your phone, re-insert the SD card.
- Reboot into bootloader mode (press and hold Vol down + Power).
- Once RUU file is detected, follow any prompts on the screen.
After we accomplish Firewater method to gain S-OFF, the LOCKED banner will be changed to UNLOCKED, you can make it back to normal again by performing the guide here.
This is a step that isn’t recommended to be done, since it potentially make your smartphone bricked in case you make a mistake. However, do it at your own risk.