I’m sure everyone would’ve never made a mistake when mod their Samsung Galaxy S5, whether it’s because we aren’t looking through the guidance carefully or maybe due to our own carelessness, such as applying a mod that is not actually developed for our device, which could lead to bootloops, app force closes or even trapped in Samsung logo. The one and only solution that is worth trying to get out of this problem is to unroot and restore the Verizon Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V) back to stock.
It is a further attempt in case the previous attempts including factory reset or even restoring a NAND backup from custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) have failed. The most frequent method to revert VZW Galaxy S5 back to stock is using Odin, which is a desktop app running on a Windows computer. With the help of this tool we will make an effort to flash the official stock firmware to our device.
After successfully performing this procedure, your VZW Galaxy S5 will be returned to stock and unrooted and the software would run normally. However, you need to remember, it’s not same as when you remove it like the box for the first time, since there is an advanced security protection that you couldn’t restore, like Samsung KNOX, up to now there’s no way to reset the counter to 0x0 if you have previously tripped. Here we provide the requirements and a how to unroot and return your Verizon Galaxy S5 back to stock with Odin and the official stock firmware.
- A Windows computer, you can use Win XP to Win 8.1 as long as they can run Odin.
- Updated version of Samsung USB Drivers, just to make sure if the driver on your computer is compatible with Galaxy S5.
- The most up-to-date version of the Odin, to this day the latest version is v.3.09 but many folks recommend you to use the previous version (v.3.07), in case you still have a problem just try the other version.
- A stock official firmware for your Samsung Galaxy S5 model number, Verizon model is SM-G900V. And be sure to choose the same software version as running on your phone. Sometimes a firmware upgrade was successful, but a downgrade to previous version will be fail.
- An OEM USB cable, when connecting, consider to plug it into the USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0 ports.
- Charge your phone at least 50%.
How to unroot and revert Verizon Galaxy S5 back to stock with Odin and stock firmware
- Unzip the zipped firmware file you’ve saved before, confirm the results of the extract is a file with “.tar.md5” extension.
- Find out Odin apps that you have saved on your computer, select the version you desire and double click to execute it.
- When the Odin is launched, click “PDA” button (or “AP” button on Odin v.3.09) and search for the file you’ve extracted from step 1.
- Now take a look at Option section, ensure that only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked.
- Now grab your phone, then shut it off, as soon as totally powered down, press and hold these three keys: Vol down + Home + Power. Before entering into download mode, you’ll take into a warning screen, select continue.
- Connect the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 to the PC via USB cable. Odin should recognize your phone now, otherwise re-check the drivers.
- Now hit the Start button. Flashing VZW Galaxy 5 (SM-G900V) back to stock will last for a few minutes, since the size of the firmware file is pretty huge. Keep in mind, never interrupt the Odin process, wait until the process is complete.Once done the Odin will show a PASS banner, then your phone will reboot immediately.