As one of the flagship Android smartphones this year, the LG G4 has been attracting a lot of Android enthusiast, some of which is the geek users just like you. This group of user commonly mods their device’s software to get the most out of the phone. Starting from making an attempt to gain root access, install a custom recovery, ROM or kernel. However, before performing risky activity, it’s recommended to find out how to unroot and restore LG G4 back to stock firmware.
It is a common procedure for nerd users, so you’re ready and not shocked when your phone (soft) bricked, stuck on bootloop/LG logo or any other serious issue. Return your LG G4 back to stock are also useful when you want to get the official update via OTA, because as we know, the official LG OTA won’t be installed if you rooted and currently running a custom recovery (TWRP/CWM).
There are several tools that you can use to unroot LG G4, the most widely used today is the LG Flash LG Flashtool 2014 and Tools v 1.8, its use depends on the firmware file that you have, whether KDZ or TOT file. We prefer to use a TOT file, because the success rate is higher if you use this kind of firmware, however it’s very rare to find.
The procedure to restore the device to stock is same as previous LG device, it’s easy enough to perform but involves accuracy and patience.
Based on @hyelton’s guide, here’s an overview of the KDZ method.
- Turn on your Windows computer, it has been tested on Windows 7, some folks said 8/8.1 are having permission issues.
- Download LG G4 stock firmware that matches with your device model number, like Verizon (VS986), AT&T (H810), T-Mobile (H811), Sprint (LS991), US Cellular (US991), and a lot more. It’s also recommended to get a firmware with the same software version.
- Get the LG USB drivers for Windows, for Verizon users please use the LG VZW United drivers.
- Grab the LG Flash Tool 2014 from hyelton’s thread on xda forums.
- Put your phone into download mode.
- Connect to the Windows computer via micro USB cable, an original OEM cable is recommended.
- Extract the flash tool that packed as zip.
- Now run the app on the computer. In order to unroot and restore LG G4 back to the stock you need to choose “CSE Flash”, since the “Normal Flash” only fix the system problem. You can find the correct configuration on the video below.