If you love to buy tangible items or digital products at the Amazon online store, you might be interested in the Amazon Fire Phone which have revolutionary features such as Dynamic Perspective, Firefly technology and Mayday. The great thing is, it also includes a full year of Prime worth $99, to take pleasure from free two day shipping on millions of items, lend a great book at no cost and much more. The phone is available only on AT&T with 2-year agreement, so by default the Amazon Fire Phone is locked to AT&T networks, and you cannot use a SIM card from another carrier before unlocking it.
So, in order to take advantage of this phone, you should create a new account or add new line with AT&T. In case you purchase it, and planning to use it outside the United States and make use of other SIM cards issued by GSM mobile operators around the world, you should unlock the Amazon Fire Phone first.
Fortunately, it is now legal to unlock a cell phone in the US as the President will signs cell phone unlocking bills. It’s mean you still have a chance to unlocking the Amazon Fire Phone and use it with another service provider. However, AT&T has several requirements that must be fulfilled before unlocking your mobile devices, one of which is the request must be made by an active or former AT&T customer.
- A current or former AT&T subscribers who still have a phone number for the account.
- An Amazon Fire Phone that has been paid for in full.
- Non-AT&T SIM card (GSM).
- Obtain your IMEI number, it’s located on Settings under Devices and Information about this Fire Phone.
Unlock Amazon Fire Phone to use with another carrier’s SIM card
Before proceeding, make sure to fulfill all the requirements.
- Go to official AT&T Customer Device Unlock Request page.
- Accept the agreement then fill out the requested information.
- After completing the requested form, you’ll get a confirmation email, then open it and follow the verification link and you will be notified that they will process it and will back to you within 48 hours but might take as long as 5 business days.
- After you receive the unlock code, swap your AT&T SIM with any other GSM nano-SIM card, then turn it on. It will ask for an unlock code, just fill-provided with the unlock code from AT&T, an additional restart might required.