To reduce the number of users who mods their devices, HTC decided to add a TEMPERED flag to device with an unlocked bootloader, you can see it when you are in bootloader mode, the flag found at the top. For some folks the flag quite disturbing because it seems we have been destroyed our own devices, though we never did it. For M8 users, now you can be glad since we can remove the TAMPERED flag from HTC One M8 bootloader, this should work all models Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and various other.
One of the requirements that you must meet before removing TEMPERED from the bootloader is gaining S-OFF, for those who still S-ON you will never be able to get rid of the flag from your device. Moreover, gaining S-OFF is not that hard, not like HTC smartphones a few years ago, now we can simply use the one-click exploit like Firewater.
To be able to eliminate TEMPERED flag from HTC One M8 is not too difficult since we only need to type a few commands through the command line prompt. However, it’s not too easy for novice users, because we have to get familiar with adb or fastboot command.
- A Windows computer, the method tested and reportedly working on Windows-based computer.
- Latest HTC Drivers installed without Sync Manager.
- Working adb and fastboot, for Win 8 or newer get the drivers here.
- Enable USB debugging on main phone Settings.
HTC One M8: Remove TAMPERED flag from bootloader
- To ensure that the your computer and the smartphone are ready, run a few command lines listed below:
It will show the serial number of your device.
- If you have been convinced that the device has been properly detected by the computer and the adb/fastboot are working nicely, proceed the following command, one by one, re-type, do not copy paste:
echo -ne ‘\x00’ | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 bs=1 seek=5314564
adb reboot bootloader