Droid RAZR HD and RAZR Maxx HD (XT926) has managed to gain root access even before the device was officially released by Verizon Wireless. Restore the phone to stock factory firmware is required when some day we need to exchange, return or repair this device to Verizon.
This procedure can also eliminate root access or unroot your android phone, under some circumstances it can also help you to unbrick Motorola devices. To restore the device to original firmware you can use RSD Lite on Windows computers to flash the original stock firmware.
- Download RSD Lite for Windows and install it, you can also use version 6.0, but it’s recommended to use the latest release to avoid issues.
- Download the stock firmware/fastboot file in zip that was built especially for the XT926 device. Grab the Jelly Bean firmware if you already running Android 4.1 JB.
- You might also need RAZR HD drivers for Windows.
How to unroot, unbrick and restore stock Droid RAZR HD/Maxx HD (XT926)
- Extract the firmware in the zip file to your computer, open the extracted folder.
- After extracting you will see a xml file “VZW_XT926_4.0.4-7.7.1Q-144_VQW_S3-34-25_CFC.xml” then open the file with notepad. Remove all lines with the word “getvar”, there were two lines that have the word “getvar”, then save.
- Open RSD Lite, press the “…” next to the filename. Find and select the xml file that has been edited in step No.3.
- Since all data saved in phone storage will be wiped, you should backup contacts, sms, calendar and call log. If you already rooted you can also backup installed apps + data using MyBackup or Titanium Backup.
- Your phone must be on the AP FastBoot Mode. Turn off your phone first, press and hold the Vol Up + Vol Down + Power button together. You will enter into the Boot Mode Selection Menu, scroll down and select AP Fastboot. After that connect your phone to your computer via USB, our Droid RAZR HD will be recognized as XT926.
- Once the device is recognized, it’s time to pressing the start button. Flashing process will take about 15-20 minutes, so remain calm.
- If the flash is successful, your phone will reboot and revert to the stock firmware.