Good news comes to Verizon DROID 4 owner, in January 2014 a new software update has been pushed out to these QWERTY smartphone from Motorola, the OTA update come with software version 98.72.18-8 (98.72.188.XT894.Verizon.en.US) and 98.72. 18-9 (98.72.189.XT894.Verizon.en.US).
However, don’t expect too much in this update, since there’s no KitKat update, it’s still on Jelly Bean. But definitely, this software update will remove root access on the DROID 4. Actually, we can retain root on this smartphone by using the Voodoo root keeper before taking the OTA, many users on xda successful with this, although some also failed.
If you currently have the updated system to the latest version, don’t worry, we can still make our DROID 4 running 98.72.18-9 or 98.72.18-8 have root access again using the old method, but with a few additional steps that must be performed before running the method.
- A computer with DROID 4 adb drivers installed.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device by going to Developers options.
- Download RAZR BLADE exploit by djrbliss from here.
Easy Guide: Verizon Motorola DROID 4 (98.72.18-9 or 98.72.18-8) root
- Once you’re successfully applying the OTA update, we should clear the phone’s cache and data. We also need to force close the smart action app.
- Connect your phone to the computer, make sure your PC recognized it, then put the phone to MTP mode.
- Extract exploits file you’ve downloaded before (razr_blade.zip), you’ll see several files in the extracted folder.
- Now double-click “run.bat” file, then press any key to continue. Let the razr blade exploit do its jobs, just wait until finished.
- Once done, your Verizon DROID running 98.72.18-9 or 98.72.18-8 should rooted now.