Although it just released, but Android development for this device is already active. This is not an odd thing, considering that this device has received support from Motorola and allow bootloader unlocking. Unlocked bootloader offers several advantages for those who want mods their device, one of the benefits that we can get is root access on the Moto X Pure Edition 2015 (XT1575), the most desired things by Android enthusiast.
With root access on the Moto X 2015 PE, we can do a lot of fun things, ranging from backup apps (and its data) to customizing the Android UI by using Xposed Framework and its modules. These two things are commonly applied among rooted users. Backup app and the data are usually done with Titanium Backup, this is important because it will save us from losing data when we have to factory reset the phone or when the phone messed up including bootloops or bricked device.
To gain root on Moto X Pure Edition 2015 we do not have to use the one-click or any tools. Because we have been unlocked, we just need to install the flashable SuperSU, but of course this requires a custom recovery (TWRP) already installed on your phone. Theoretically, we can gain superuser privileges in less than a minute, but if the process unlock the bootloader and install recovery are also calculated, then overall process only takes around 15 minutes.
Maybe you’ve noticed if TWRP will automatically offer you to flash SuperSU if it detects your ROM isn’t rooted. However, you will not get it this time and have to flash it manually.
Here’s an overview on how to root the new Moto X 2015 Pure Edition.
- Ensure the phone bootloader already unlocked.
- Replace the stock recovery with the custom recovery (TWRP).
- Download the flashable SuperSU in zip format, and save it on phone’s storage.
- Boot into TWRP recovery, choose Install then find the SuperSU zip file and swipe to install.
- Once flashing done, reboot system.
- When boots up open SuperSU for the first time, it might ask you to update su binary, just follow it.
- Open any root apps and verify it.