The KitKat latest version – Android 4.4.3 has been released for several unlocked and Google Play Edition (GPE) devices, some lucky GPE that get the official update are the Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One M8/M7, Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Together with GPE phones, couple of Nexus devices and Motorola smartphones like T-Mobile Moto X, Moto G and Moto E also got it. This is possible as the GPE device does not have to go through a carrier certification process that takes quite a long time.
If you don’t know already, there are several phases of the adaptation of an Android OS release: Evaluation, Development, Integration and Push to the customer. It’s just a matter of time, we can be sure the T-Mobile and AT&T HTC One M8 will get the official Android 4.4.3 update, we only have to wait a few weeks or maybe a couple of months, depending on the certification process on the carrier side.
But, if you are impatient guys, it is possible to update your T-Mobile / AT&T HTC One M8 to Android 4.4.3 right now, but you should convert your phone’s firmware to the Google Play Edition. You are lucky, since only HTC devices which can perform GPE conversion without any difficulty.
But you need to remember, the following procedure will wipe off the data, so please backup everything via Titanium Backup or other similar tools.
- Unlocked GSM, AT&T or T-Mobile HTC One M8 smartphone.
- Already gained S-OFF.
- A little adb and fastboot knowledge.
- Download Android 4.4.3 Google Play Edition (GPE) ROM Update Utility (RUU), you can choose between stock rooted or stock unrooted RUU.
Update your AT&T / T-Mobile HTC One M8 to official Android 4.4.3 (GPE Conversion)
- Identify your CID and MID number, here’s how to check it. Make sure the CID and MID same as the list below, if not that’s mean you need to extract the RUU zip file, then modify the CID and MID in “android-info. txt” to match with yours.
- Put the RUU zip into the adb / fastboot folder.
- Open a command window (CMD) from adb folder.
- Connect your phone to the computer via HTC OEM USB cable for a stable connection.
- Run this command, your phone will enter into bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Run the following command to boot your HTC One M8 into RUU mode:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
- Flash the RUU zip via fastboot command:
fastboot flash zip RUU-HTC_One_M8_GPE_4.4.3-2.10.1700.4.zip
- You will get an error message like this “FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)” on CMD window, just re-run the RUU flash command above one more time.
- When everything is okay, run a reboot command below:
- There you are, your T-Mobile / AT&T HTC One M8 now updated to Android 4.4.3 via GPE conversion. Don’t forget to switch the CID to GOOGL001 if you want to get future OTA updates from Google.