If you are curious to try out the performance of Android smartphone running Intel CPU, you can consider getting Asus Zenfone 2E, it’s available on AT&T as a prepaid phone. It sports 5-inches HD display (720p), Dual-core 1.6GHz Intel Atom, 1GB of RAM, it has 8GB of internal storage, but you can make use of MicroSD as storage expansion. It runs the Android 5.0 Lollipop which is likely to get an update to Android 5.1.
For the geek users, you can also have the chance to get the most out of this smartphone because now we can get superuser access in easy way. Now you can root AT&T Asus Zenfone 2E by using one-click tool developed by AndroidForums user, @cotylee1991. Since this it’s a one-click tool, it doesn’t need any special expertise about Android development in order to root the phone, even novice users can get it done effortlessly.
But if you ever change your mind and want to restore it to stock, you can also do it. The method for unroot AT&T Asus Zenfone 2E is same as when you gain root access, only by running the provided one-click file. Quite easy for those who want to get the official OTA update someday that is likely to bring the latest Lollipop version (Android 5.1).
Easy root AT&T Asus Zenfone 2E with SuperSU
The root file and the exploit has been tested and reportedly working on initial firmware, so it might not work when the phone get an update later on. Then, the rooting process must be run on a computer with Windows OS.
Rooting procedure is quite easy, however, here’s the overview on how to achieve it:
- Enable USB debugging on the phone.
- Connect the phone to the PC via micro USB cable, and ensure the computer recognized it. If it’s not recognized, follow step 3 below.
- Install the required device drivers and also adb/fastboot drivers for Zenfone 2E.
- Download the one-click root and unroot toolkit in zip format.
- Extract it to a new folder for easy access.
- Check out the extracted folder, and run “Root_zenfone.bat” as administrator. A new command window will pop-up, and you will get a notification on the phone, just allow it.
- The phone will reboot into fastboot mode and do the rest. It will reboot the phone when it finishes.
- Open the SuperSU app and try to NOT update the su binaries when asked.
AT&T Zenfone 2E unroot with one-click tool
Note: Some steps (number 1-5) above are similar, continue with the steps below:
- Head to the tool folder.
- Look for a bat file named “Xoa_root.bat” and run it.
- Follow any given instructions and your Zenfone will be unrooted after single reboot.