Soon after successfully acquiring root access on AT&T/Sprint LG Optimus G (E970/LS970), now we may unlock the bootloader with Project FreeGee. Unlocked bootloader is required for putting in custom recovery (CWM), for the purpose of flashing custom ROMs. As we know, our Smartphones are still running Android 4.1 Ice Cream Sandwich, while the Nexus 4 has been running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, LG is quite slow in providing updates to their users.
Here is a guide unlocking the bootloader on the AT & T / Sprint LG Optimus G, you have to understand that these actions may void your warranty, also do not forget to perform a data backup before unlocking.
- Unlocking bootloader requires root privileges, now is the time to take action, follow this rooting guide.
- Make sure ADB drivers installed on your device, grab the drivers from the official LG site E970 or LS970.
- Grab the latest version unlocker FreeGee file (zip) for LG Optimus G, ensure to grab the latest version (AT&T or Sprint) here. Extract it on your PC hard disk.
- Enable “USB Debugging” (Settings > General tab > Developer options), and then connect the LG Optimus G to Windows PC via USB.
- Go to SuperSU app Settings, select “Allow” on the Default access, this makes FreeGee script get root access automatically. When the unlock process takes place, make sure the screen always on, go to Settings > Display > Screen timeout, choose never.
- Run by double-clicking “freegee.bat”, please Don’t run as administrator on Windows, and next follows any instruction carefully.
- When you notice “No space left on the device” error message, you may dismiss it. But if you get “tar: invalid magic”, it means the unlock process cannot be continued, you could re-download FreeGee script.
- When the unlock process is complete and successful, you will see a new folder labelled “backup” inside FreeGee folder. If there is no new “backup” folder you’re outta luck, re-run the FreeGee script for AT&T / Sprint LG Optimus G (E970/LS970) once more.
- Done. Now enter into Fastboot mode to check LG Optimus G bootloader locking status, hold down power button and volume-up keys together. For update and for future inquiries follow FreeGee thread.