Samsung and Sprint have released a new software update for the Galaxy S4 in late July with the L720VPUFNG2 software version, however, not every user could get this update so far. But one thing is undoubtedly, when you are updating your Sprint Galaxy S4 to NG2 software, root access will be vanished and we can be sure that you won’t be able to make use of any apps that require root access to work, such as Titanium Backup or Xposed Framework and its modules.
Nothing special in the L720VPUFNG2 software, it only brings minor updates and still on Android 4.4.2 KitKat. So if you are hoping to get the latest Android 4.4.3 or maybe 4.4.4 you might be a little disappointed this time. Based on the changelogs, the NG2 update for Sprint Galaxy S4 only brings two enhancements: HD voice icon and Google security patches. The first improvements you might like because it can improve the sound quality when you are conversing over the phone, but the security patches, some people might not too fond of it, especially for rooted users.
Samsung encourage you to update you smartphone as soon as possible, although the NG2 software isn’t too crucial for you, but it’s always better to run the latest version of the official firmware. No, you do not need to worry, since we can still regain root on Sprint Galaxy S4 running L720VPUFNG2 with the easy and fast procedure.
- Sprint model of Samsung Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720) running NG2 software.
- The updated version of Samsung USB drivers for mobile phones, this is not necessary if you have connected to your computer before.
- CF-Auto-Root by Chainfire, it’s the most popular root utility for Samsung Android devices, make sure to pick up a package for SPH-L720.
- A Windows computer and Odin flash tool, an Odin is optional, it’s necessary only when you can’t utilize the tool inside the package.
Regain root on Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 runs NG2 software update
Always don’t forget to have a working backup.
- Extract the downloaded autoroot package, you will notice several files, but make sure you see this file “CF-Auto-Root-jfltespr-jfltespr-sphl720.tar.md5”.
- Shut off your S4, next hit this key combo (Vol down + Home + Power button), if you notice a warning message, simply choose to continue.
- From the extracted folder, run the Odin app, then press an “AP” or “PDA” button and look for the ‘tar.md5’ file.
- Attach your Samsung Galaxy S4 to computer, and ensure the Odin has found out your phone (take a look at ID:COM).
- 5. At this point, just hit the “Start” button and watch for the Odin to carry out the rooting job.
- If you notice a PASS message, it indicates that flashing procedure has been successful. When the phone fully boots up, runs the SuperSU app to proceed the su binary installation. Your own Sprint Galaxy S4 runs L720VPUFNG2 software should rooted now, verify it and keep mods your device.