MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-M919N) in mid-December 2013 has been received an official update to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. This is the first update attained by this device, unlike the T-Mobile variant that has been getting a number of OTA update and now getting an update to KitKat. There are two ways that you can try to update this phone to the latest firmware, manually by using KIES or automatically via OTA, in whatever way you do an update, the root access on MetroPCS Galaxy S4 running Android 4.3 (M919NUVUEMK5) will be dropped.
The MK5 update is very important to make our device more helpful, secure and stable. As well as the upgraded OS to the last Jelly Bean, it also brings Samsung’s new security features known as KNOX, better compatibility with the Samsung Galaxy Gear – the new smartwatch from Samsung -, so for Gear users this is the must have update.
There are several ways that you can do to be able to bring back the superuser privileges on the device, by using Chainfire’s Autoroot that requires us to flash an exploit via Odin, which will be explained in this post. One other is to use Kingo app that less complicated since it is a one click tool, but no one has reported the result after using it on this phone, however, it is reportedly working on MK5 firmware running on Galaxy S4 Mini.
- Get the CF Autoroot package for T-Mobile (SGH-M919) from here, the dev does not provide a package for MetroPCS variant, but since both of these phones have similar hardware and software, then you can use it to your device.
- If you frequently connect your device to the computer you most likely don’t need to install the drivers again, but if the Odin3 fails to recognize your device then you have to update the Samsung USB drivers to the latest version.
MetroPCS Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 (M919NUVUEMK5) Root – The Easy Way
- Unzip the CF Autoroot package into new folder. Once extracted you will see 3 files there: executable Odin3, an ini file and the exploit “CF-Auto-Root-jfltetmo-jfltetmo-sghm919.tar.md5”.
- Now power down the device, following that hit and hold this key combination (Vol down + Home + Power button), when you see the warning message, just continue.
- Execute the Odin3 app, press the PDA to find the tar.md5 you’ve extracted before.
- Connect your GS4 via USB to Windows, make sure the Odin3 discover your device (check out ID:COM section).
- Now hit the “Start” button and wait for Odin to complete its jobs.
- When you see PASS message, means the flashing process has been successful, next you should continue the SuperSU installation. Your MetroPCS Galaxy S4 runs Android 4.3 M919NUVUEMK5 should rooted, let’s mods your device again.