Effective December 17, last year, a new major OS update to Android 4.3 for the Galaxy Note II (SGH-i317) was available to AT&T customers. It is updating our phone to MK6 software version that brings a lot of improvements. Whether you like it or not, the latest update brings the new bootloader and KNOX security features, for common users this feature is very useful to secure you when utilizing Samsung’s smartphone.
However, for those who enjoy modding their phone, then this feature might be a pain for those who trying to get su privileges. Fortunately, we can still regain root on the AT&T Galaxy Note 2 running I317UCUBMK6 baseband (Android 4.3).
Although it comes with a Samsung Knox security feature that not everyone liked it, but the updates also include the Android OS upgrade to the latest Jelly Bean, which makes your Note 2 smooth like butter. In addition it will support the Galaxy Gear and brings the new Multi-Window UI taken from the Note 3.
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 USB drivers or the updated KIES 3.
- The latest version of the Odin flash tool, this will be useful in case you always fail when using an Odin executable file that bundled into the CF-Autoroot.
- Get the CF-Autoroot from Chainfire site, ensure to download a specific exploit for SGH-I317.
Regain root on AT&T Galaxy Note 2 running I317UCUBMK6 software (Android 4.3)
- Unzip the CF Autoroot file, commonly you will see three files there: CF-Auto-Root-xxx-xxx-xxxx.tar.md5, Odin3-v1.85.exe and Odin3.ini.
- Now execute the Odin3 v1.85 inside the folder, you can also use the more recent apps of Odin, v.3.07 or later, but make sure you only choose “Auto Reboot” on Option section.
- Enter download mode, turn off the device then turn it on by holding three buttons together (Vol down+Home+ Power button).
- Connect your computer to your PC using the USB cable, if the driver has been installed correctly then your device will be recognized immediately by Odin. It is recommended to use the OEM cable that came with your device.
- Click the PDA button and point to *.tar.md5 file,
- The next step is to hit the “Start” button to begin the root exploit flashing process.
- Your Smartphone will reboot when the flashing process successful, once boot up your SGH-i317 / AT&T Galaxy Note 2 running MK6 (Android 4.3) should rooted now with SuperSU installed.
- Now login into Play Store and update the SuperSU app, open it then finish the su installation.