Finally after a long wait, Sprint has finally released the official Jelly Bean OTA update for the HTC EVO 4G LTE, when your device rooted before applying the update, likely you will lose root access. Your phone will be upgraded to software version 3.15.651.16 with Android 4.1.1 and Sense 4+, it will bring several enhancements/fixes such as: improved WiFi authentication, improved browser performance, improved camera, etc.
As we know if your device is unlocked via HTCDev with custom recovery (TWRP/CWM) installed and rooted, then you will not receive update notification, since the official OTA requires stock recovery.
There are several ways to update HTC EVO 4G LTE to Android 4.1.1. We can download updates via OTA or flash stock rooted ROM JB via custom recovery (TWRP). Today we write a simple guide for you, but only for those who are still S-ON and unlocked via HTCDev.com. Bear in mind, since your phone data will be lost, including installed apps, don’t forget to backup using MyBackup or Titanium Backup.
A. Flashing stock rooted Jelly Bean ROM.
For those who desire running official JB on HTC EVO 4G LTE without OTA, you can flash the stock rooted 3.15.651.16 (Android 4.1.1) ROM via TWRP recovery. This is the fastest way to update and retain root access, thanks to -viperboy- who has built this ROM for us, it’s also available in two versions odex and deodex, personally I prefer deodexed version. Get the ROM on Xda, make a full backup via recovery (Nandroid), full wipe and flash the ROM.
B. Updates to Jelly Bean using the RUU for Windows PC.
This guide takes a long time to complete because you have to relock your device, restore to stock ICS with RUU, take JB OTA, re-unlock and then re-root.
- Enable USB debugging (Settings > Developer options)
- Get latest official ICS RUU (2.13.651.1) here and save it on your PC.
- Enter bootloder (Turn off the device, then press and hold volume down + power). After entering bootloader mode, hit the power button again to get into FASTBOOT.
- Head to “platform-tools” folder (Android SDK), and then open command window.
- Connect HTC Evo 4G LTE to PC via USB cable. Now try to test connection with PC by running the following command:
When successfully connected, it will show your device’s serial number.
- Now it’s time to relock bootloader, type command below:
fastboot oem lock
Your device will reboot.
- After successfully relocked, turn off your phone, enter FASTBOOT mode again (just like step 3).
- Run by double-clicking RUU file that you have downloaded before (step 2), then follow instructions very carefully.
- Now take official Jelly Bean OTA from Sprint (3.15.651.16/Android 4.1.1).
- After applying OTA, unlock again via HTCDev, install TWRP recovery and flash superuser via TWRP. Now Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE running official JB and rooted.