Several US wireless carriers and Samsung seems to be vying for rolling out the Android 5.0 update, after the T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 which rolled out a few days ago, now Sprint has approved the Lollipop update for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with software version N910PVPU1BOB7. It’s a good move for Sprint, as it speeds up the process of software certification, so the Lollipop can be reached to end users. Unlike the other carrier that takes months just for the certification process.
For rooted users, when you have failed to perform the update via OTA, then you need to restore your device to the KitKat stock ROM (NK2) with stock recovery. Needless to say, the root access will be lost after the phone restored to stock condition, but we can still regain root on Lollipop for Sprint Galaxy Note 4 with a method that is very popular among Android enthusiast, the CF-Auto-Root (CFAR) by Chainfire.
The CFAR is the most powerful root utility at the moment and it’s the only root method that worked well with this phone, almost all of Samsung’s flagship Android smartphone successfully rooted with this method. However, by using this tool, the KNOX counter will be tripped, your phone warranty will be void, you’ve been warned.
- Galaxy Note 4 USB drivers.
- A computer with Windows OS.
- Download the CFAR Package for Sprint specific model number SM-N910P for Chainfire site..
- OEM USB cable which comes with the box.
Root official Android 5.0.1 Lollipop (OB7) for Sprint Galaxy Note 4
CF-Auto-Root is a utility that is easy to use to gain superuser privileges, but not for the newbie who have never used it. For that reason, here we provide a brief guide:
- Extract the CFAR package (CF-Auto-Root-trltespr-trltespr-smn910p.zip) into a folder, you’ll find several files there.
- Now double-click to run the Odin desktop app.
- Choose the AP/PDA button on the Odin and search for tar.md5 file from extracted CFAR package.
- Turn off your phone and put it into Download Mode.
- Connect the phone to PC via USB cable and make sure the Odin recognized the device.
- Once ready, just hit the Start button to begin flash.