The Samsung Galaxy S4 might have been abandoned by its users who have upgraded to the latest flagship smartphone. But Samsung and Verizon seems to be still paying attention to this device by releasing a new OTA update with software version I545VRUGOF1, it contains many bug fixes that brought the previous firmware.
Rooted users should not worry about it, as now there’s a method to root OF1 for Verizon Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545). We can use a tool called FlashFire, it’s a new flash tool by Chainfire, the creator of Mobile Odin and CF-Auto-Root utility.
As we mentioned earlier, the I545VRUGOF1 brings major software bug fixes and security patches. Among all, the most important is a patch to fix a Stagefright vulnerability. The vulnerabity brings serious security problem, an attacker could utilize the vuln then take control of your device and also stealing your personal data. Everything is done just by sending you an MMS.
If you still have superuser access to the previous software, and now want to update to Verizon Galaxy S4 to I545VRUGOF1 (of1) OTA update, you can take some simple steps below.
Here’s the step by step guide based on muniz_ri’s thread on xda forum.
- Download and install the latest FlashFire app by Chainfire, it’s a new mobile flash tool, which has a capability to flash a stock official firmware OTA directly from the phone.
- Grab the OF1 stock ROM in zip format on muniz_ri’s thread and move it to the phone’s storage. You can choose between Odexed or Deodexed ROM, choose as your needs.
- Open the FlashFire app from the app drawer, grant superuser request and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Still in the app, tap the plus (+) button and choose “Flash ZIP or OTA” menu. Leave the “Auto-mount” option unchecked, then tap the checkmark icon to continue. Before flashing, tap the EverRoot menu, and ensure every option remains unchecked.
- When ready, just hit the lightening icon in the below to start flashing.
- Once flashing done, let the phone upgrading the systems, you will stuck on Verizon Logo for about 5 minutes (Odex ROM) or 10-15 minutes (Deodex ROM).