It’s less than two months since the NI1 update has been rolled out, now a new software update for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 is back with software version I337UCUFNJ4, but now with essential changes since the OS now upgraded to Android 4.4.4 KitKat.
The OS version is probably not the way you’d expect – the Android 5.0 Lollipop, but at least your phone can have an improved performance than ever, and another good news is we are still able to regain root after updated to NJ4.
Apart from packed with Android 4.4.4 KitKat which deliver minor enhancements and security updates, the I337UCUFNJ4 software will also update the pre-installed apps like Knox 2.0 as well as some other new preloaded apps. Additionally, it also brings improvements to the Enhanced 911 or E911 call, so this smartphone could still useful in urgent situation.
Although the update only took couple of improvements, bug fixes and minor OS update, but the size of the file that you have to downloaded is quite large, around 392MB – 488MB depending on your current Android version. To avoid undesired situation, before taking the NJ4 via OTA, make sure your device is in stock condition, including the stock recovery.
Regain root on the AT&T Galaxy S4 runs Android 4.4.4 (NJ4)
Actually method to regain root on NJ4 is same as other Samsung devices, utilizing towelroot-friendly kernel from previous update – NC1 firmware. In order to carry out this procedure, we need a computer to flash the kernel with Odin3.
You can read the guide and download the required files directly from muniz_ri thread on xda forums or you can read our quick guide:
- Download Odin3, towelroot v3, stock NC1 and NJ4 kernel.
- Update the phone to I337UCUFNJ4 firmware via OTA.
- Put your phone into download mode (vol down + home + power).
- Run Odin3 on your PC, then flash the NC1 kernel, the phone might run laggy due to unmatched kernel.
- Instal then run towelroot on your phone, might not root on the first attempt, so keep trying.
- Once root done, re-flash the stock NJ4 kernel via Odin3.
- Now instal SuperSU app, run and allow su update when it asked.
If you are Safestrap users, the method should less difficult and faster, you only need to download and flash the stock rooted I337UCUFNJ4 ROM via Safetrap and then flash the stock NJ4 kernel.