In mid-January 2013, Sprint has released an OTA update for LG Optimus G (LS970) with Software version LS970ZV9. This OTA just brings voice mail updates and battery improvement, not a Jelly Bean update that we all been waiting for. Although only a minor improvement, this update could be great for those who want to have a better battery life.
However, not all users loves this update, since the previous root method will not work on new software version (ZV9).
A month has passed, now Sprint LG Optimus G users with software version LS970ZV9 can delighted, because the new root method now available, and even this root tool could work for future Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) update. Thanks to fiddy619 from xda who port this LGOG Japanese JB root script for our devices.
For those who want to achieve root on LG Optimus G on ZV9 or Jelly Bean future updates, you can go through following steps below:
- Get the root tools (ZV9-JB-Root.zip) by fiddy619 (mediafire mirror).
- Extract the zip file on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging and Unknown source from the device settings.
- Grab the latest LS970 LG USB drivers from the official site, the previous version should work, just the make sure your PC recognizes the phone.
- Use a USB cable to connect the phone to the device, when prompted choose charge only.
- Go to extracted folder in step 2 and double-click on CurrentRoot.bat, a CMD window will appear to start rooting process.
- Change USB connection to MTP mode.
- When your PC asks how to open files, just ignore it.
- Back to CMD window, and press enter, look at the entire process.
After successfully gaining root access on the LG Optimus G on Jelly Bean or ZV9 software version, try to get Titanium Backup from play store to verify root privileges.