Among the 2015 released Fire Tablet Family (5th Gen.), the original tablet with 7-inches display is most desired device even though it has a lower specs when compared with the others (Amazon Fire HD 6/8/10). The main reason is the device was offered at a very reasonably priced, only $49.99 for a tablet with a quad-core CPU. Not only interesting for common users, it turns out that the 7″ Amazon Fire 2015 have been chosen by geek users, since the Android development is quite active and supported by good devs.
Currently, there are many custom mods to choose from, in addition, we also can install Xposed Framework on Amazon Fire 7″ (2015) 5th Gen. Xposed Framework and its modules will help you get the most out of your tablet even if you are still running the stock Amazon ROM. As we know, this tablet has loaded with a forked version of Android 5.1.1, Amazon brand it as Fire OS 5, unfortunately it’s lack of customizations even there’s no Google Play Store app available to download apps.
Although very useful, installing an Xposed framework is quite challenging, because we have to install it on the system, in other words, we have to flash it with custom recovery or a flash utility. Currently there are two options for installing Xposed on Amazon Fire 7 “(2015), via custom recovery or with FlashFire utility. When you apply it via recovery you will need a computer to boot a custom recovery, then flash the Xposed package, on the other hand, you can also use FlashFire app, but it need root access.
We will use FlashFire with this method based on Vlasp’s thread from xda community. You can also use custom recovery if you think it’s easier.
The following is an overview on how to flash Xposed Framework on the 2015 Amazon Fire 7″ (5th Gen.).
- Download the latest flashable Xposed Framework (zip), pick the SDK 22 version since the tablet runs Android 5.1 Lollipop.
- Grab the Flashfire app by Chainfire and install it.
- Now open Flashfire and grant Superuser privileges.
- Press the action button with plus icon, select “Flash ZIP or OTA”, remember to keep the “Auto-mount” option unchecked then checkmark icon to proceed.
- Locate the Xposed zip file, then tap the lightning button to start flashing.
- Wait a while until it complete and reboot the system.
- Once boot up install the Xposed installer apk to manage the modules. You could also try the working modules list.