The 2015 Moto X gives a lot of freedom to its users and Android developers as its sold unlocked, both the network and the bootloader. There are many things we can achieve after the phone’s bootloader is unlocked, we can start with flashing a TWRP on Moto X Pure Edition 2015 (XT1575). The custom recovery gives us plenty of opportunity to get the most out of this device, starting from root access with SuperSU to custom ROM.
As you know, this 3rd Gen of Moto X sold with great hardware and software, like Snapdragon 808 chipset, Adreno 418 GPU, 3GB of RAM and 5.7-inches Quad HD display. In addition, it’s shipped with the latest version of Lollipop (Android 5.1.1), and will receive update to Android 6.0 Marshmallow, most likely not long after the Nexus devices obtain it, considering it’s an unlocked device, which mean no carrier certification process evolved. So, mods this powerful device could be more exciting.
The TWRP recovery for Moto X Pure Edition 2015 was built by a recognized contributor from xda, Hashbang173. It’s official build of TWRP so it should compatible with the US version devices (XT1575). Although when this article was written the tool is still in the testing stage, but you can expect all the features can function properly like flashing zip, backup and restore, at least this has been experienced xda users who’ve given it a try.
The TWRP recovery installation process is quite easy and can be done quickly because there are no many processes evolved. Still, those who have never done it, the procedure is a little bit pain.
Here we provide brief guide for you:
- Get adb and fastboot package on your computer.
- Install the latest USB drivers on your PC.
- Unlock your phone bootloader via official Motorola page.
- Grab the latest TWRP recovery for XT157 (Moto X Pure Edition 2015) from the official TWRP site.
- Move the TWRP image (twrp-2.8.x.x-clark.img) into the same folder as adb and fastboot files.
- Rename the img file for easy typing (ex. recovery.img), but it’s not required.
- Boot into bootloader via adb command “adb reboot bootloader” or “adb reboot-bootloader”. You can also achieve it by turn it off, then turn it on by holding volume down + power button for a few seconds.
- On adb and fastboot folder, hold keyboard Shift key + mouse right click, and choose “Open command window here” option.
- To test the recovery type the following command:
fastboot boot recovery.img
- To flash it permanently, type the following command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Reboot the device by typing fastboot reboot.
The TWRP recovery should installed now, there are many way to enter into recovery, you can use an app or simply type adb reboot recovery when the phone turned on.