The official Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update has been released for the T-Mobile LG Stylo (H631) and MetroPCS (MS631) models, the Sprint and Boost Mobile also get it, but we do not know for sure about the actual Android version. No one expected if this mid-range phone for getting it, because as we all know, the latest flagship phone LG G4 still runs Android 5.1, and the last year’s flagship – LG G3 is still loaded with initial Lollipop software (Android 5.0).
Fortunately, there is still good news for the geek users, because we still have a chance to regain root access and kept the custom recovery (TWRP) while running Android 5.1.1 for the LG G Stylo. But this can only be done when you are rooted with TWRP installed, because according to some members on xda, once you take the OTA, the phone’s bootloader will be locked permanently, which means there is no root custom recovery anymore, until new tools coming.
The Android 5.1.1 software version is H63110e (TMo), it’s brought quite a lot of bug fixes and performance improvements over the previous Android version, so if you often feel lag when operating this device, once updated, the problem will be sorted out. Apart from bringing the most recent Lollipop, this software update will also improve battery life (Wi-Fi calling) and also the display.
In case you still have root access with custom recovery installed, you still can get the latest software version without fear of the locked bootloader.
You can regain root on Android 5.1 for LG G Stylo with the following method:
- Download the recovery flashable Android 5.1.1 zip for T-Mobile (H631) and MetroPCS (MS631) variants. Make sure to select the file that match with your phone model number.
- Copy or move the zip file to the phone’s external SD card.
- Install the latest TWRP recovery, this procedure tested on v188.8.131.52.
- Reboot into TWRP and perform full Nandroid backup, just in case.
- Flash the zip package (LP511_xxxx_6-30-2015.zip).
- Flash the latest flashable SuperSU zip.
- Back to main menu, go to advanced wipe then wipe cache and dalvik cache only.
- Reboot and done, first boot might take a while.