Shortly after the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 goes on sale worldwide, Samsung also showcased its new fancy smartphone – the Galaxy Note Edge. At a quick glance, it’s looks like Note 4 but it’s equipped with a curved screen that wraps around on the right side of the main display. The curved screen can handle important notifications like incoming calls, texts and emails. It can also work without interrupting the current task on the main screen.
Since it has similarities with the actual Galaxy Note 4, some curious users at xda have tried the Note 4’s specific method to gain root on the Galaxy Note Edge. Soon after that, they were able to confirm that the CF-Auto-Root for SM-N910K (Korean version of the Galaxy Note 4) is able to provide the Note Edge superuser access.
However, it’s not for all variants, but only for specific models such as the SM-N915K or SM-N915S which is also Korean version of Note Edge. Keep in mind that after completing this method the Knox counter will be tripped, and it might void your phone warranty.
This method might not helpful for US devices, especially if you pick the Verizon (SM-N915V) or AT&T (SM-N915A), since most likely the both devices will have a locked bootloader, just like the actual Note 4, which still unrooted till this post is written.
However, there’s still a hope for those who planning to buy the Sprint (SM-N915P) or T-Mobile (SM-N915T) variants, based on some of the devices that was released previously, there is a possibility that you will be able to gain superuser access and even custom recoveries or custom ROMs, we’ll see it later.
Root Samsung Galaxy Note Edge easily with Chainfire’s Utility
The procedure to gain root on the Galaxy Note Edge with CF-Autoroot by Chainfire remains same, you won’t face significant issues. In case this is your first experience, the following is a summary of the steps.
It has been confirmed working on the SM-N915K or SM-N915S (Korean version of Note Edge).
- Download the CF-Auto-Root package (CF-Auto-Root-treltektt-treltektt-smn910k.zip) for SM-N910K (Korean Note 4).
- The proper drivers already installed on the computer.
- Extract the root package into a new folder.
- Run the provided Odin3 inside the folder.
- Put your Note Edge into Download Mode (Volume Down + Home + Power).
- Connect the Edge to the PC via USB cable.
- Look at the Odin3, click the PDA button then locate the *.tar.md5 file from extracted folder and Start flashing.
- It will stuck on boot screen around 30 seconds.
- Once boot up, run SuperSU and update su when it ask to do so.