Official OTA update finally comes to US Cellular Galaxy S5 with software version G900R4VXU1ANCF, if you buy this device in early April, the OTA notification will come to you, but if you purchased this smartphone a few days ago then most likely your device has been preloaded with NCF firmware instead of the initial firmware (NCA). Whatever your firmware, you can still get root access, since the US Cellular variants of the Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900R4) are coming with unlocked bootloader.
Commonly, a first OTA only brings an update to fix some glitches as well as little improvements, the G900R4VXU1ANCF software provides several enhancements including: removed Wi-Fi Now app, calendar app upgrade, removed the Google search icon, Mobile Data security app upgraded to v6.6.16. 35 and Gameloft app is upgraded to v1.0.3. According to its changelogs, the update isn’t very important for our smartphone.
If you have rooted before then you will get an error message when going to download the OTA, it’s because your phone’ System Status on the download mode still shows Custom, you need to revert it to the Official.
As experienced by other devices with Samsung KNOX security installed, the procedure to root US Cellular Galaxy S5 runs G900R4VXU1ANCF software will also trip KNOX counter, so if you are brave enough to take a risk to lose warranty then you can continue this Chainfire’ method. Or maybe you can wait until someone manages to find a way to root this smartphone without triggering KNOX counter.
- Grab the root package in zip (CF-Auto-Root-klteusc-klteusc-smg900r4.zip), the file is uniquely created for US Cellular Galaxy S5 with SM-G900R4 model number.
- A Windows-based computer, considering that the Odin exclusively operates on Windows OS.
- The latest version of Galaxy S5 USB Drivers.
- Battery indicator should more than 50%.
Root US Cellular Galaxy S5 runs G900R4VXU1A NCF software from OTA update
- Extract the CF Autoroot file, you will find several files there, including Odin executable file and a ‘tar.md5’ file.
- Double-click the Odin executable file within the folder.
- When the Odin running, simply click the PDA button and then pick the “CF-Auto-Root-klteusc-klteusc-smg900r4.tar.md5” file.
- Grab your S5, switch it down, then enter into download mode (Volume down + Home + Power).
- Attach your Samsung Galaxy S5 to the Windows PC thru USB, when the phone is properly installed the ID:COM should be highlighted now.
- The time has come, hit the Start button to run the root process. The root procedure lasted pretty quick, just in a matter of minutes you will get a success or a failure message. When the Odin shows PASS, then your phone will reboot by itself.
After the phone boots up, you will see a new app installed called SuperSU by Chainfire, you need to run it before using any root apps, on the first run the SuperSU will set up superuser binaries for you, once done your US Cellular Galaxy S5 runs G900R4VXU1ANCF should rooted now.