After getting a new firmware update, many Xperia Ion users are failing to regain root access on their smartphones. The previous root method that that uses a one-click tool from Bin4ry doesn’t work anymore for new released firmware, for instance LT28i/LT28h models with Build number 6.1.E.3.7. As you may know, every new firmware update will likely come with a security patch, which makes the previous root exploit is useless.
In fact, you have an option to not update your smartphone to the latest firmware, so that you can still make use of a rooted Sony Xperia Ion. But I believe everybody would like to run the most recent firmware on their phones, since it might loaded with several improvement and bug fixes, to guarantee our phone running smoothly.
Although Bin4ry method couldn’t be used anymore, fortunately there are still other tools which reportedly working to root Xperia Ion especially if you are running 6.1.E.3.7 firmware by utilizing ERoot exploit. Interestingly, this exploit can also work for other Sony devices such as the Xperia S, SL, Acro S, etc. Here is a brief instruction on how to use the tool:
- Install the latest device drivers from the Sony support site, only try this step in case you have never connected the phone to the PC before.
- Download the ERoot exploit here and extract it into your Windows PC / Laptop.
- Enable USB Debugging and Unknown source in main Settings.
- Run “ERoot-1.0.14.exe”, don’t be shocked if you only read Chinese letters. Then connect your phone to the PC.
- If your phone is detected by the tool, then click “一键root”, next wait a few minutes, let the tool complete the job.
- When you see “恭喜您，获取root 权限成功” message on the tool, you just successfully regain root on Xperia Ion that missing before.