Starting May 21st, AT&T roll out an official Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update for the LG Optimus G Pro (E980) with 20g software version. When the update is available in your area you’ll soon get a notification, otherwise, you can manually check for updates in Settings -> General -> About -> Software update -> Update now. However, there is one thing should know, just like other Android devices, as soon as the upgrade procedure is accomplished, you will lose root on the AT&T LG Optimus G Pro running KitKat – E98020g.
The update file size is about 800MB, so it can be categorized as a major update that brings significant changes to this smartphone. Not only a new OS, you will also get several enhancements and new features, such as restyled navigation and status bar, more robust security, longer battery life, faster processing speed, and enabled full-screen mode.
There is good news for those who want to continue to have root on the AT&T LG Optimus G Pro running KitKat (E98020g), a one-click root script is available for our smartphones. Actually, this is the root script designed for unlocked variants of G Pro (F240x), but when tested on AT&T variants (E980) it can still work nicely. Here we provide the brief tutorial.
- LG Optimus G Pro (E980) smartphone with KitKat firmware.
- An updated version of LG USB Drivers for smartphone.
- A computer with Windows OS (Win 8.1/7/XP).
- Stock LG USB cable, which come with the phone.
- Grab the Root Tool in zip (roottool.kitkat.zip).
- Enable USB debugging on the phone.
One-click root for AT&T LG Optimus G Pro running official KitKat (E98020g) from OTA update
- Unzip the root tool in your PC with 7zip or other similar tools, you will see many files there (StartRoot.bat, adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, root.zip).
- Run the script by double clicking the “StartRoot.bat”.
- Connect the phone to the PC, ensure you get the USB debugging notification.
- Just Press any key to continue the rooting procedure.
- The script will send a command, which put your phone into recovery mode.
- Once entering into recovery, use volume key to choose sideload option, select install from zip -> install zip from sideload, then power button to start flashing.
- Reboot the phone after installation.
- Once boots up, open Google Play Store then get SuperSU by Chainfire, open the app then finish the su setup. Your AT&T LG Optimus G Pro running KitKat (E98020g) should rooted with SuperSU now.