Jelly Bean official OTA has been available for Motorola DROID RAZR HD and MAXX HD (XT926), for those who previously rooted you might get rid of root access after receiving the JB Update. Until now there is no root method that can work on Jelly Bean firmware, Motofail2Go exploit will not help you since this root exploit developed for ICS-based firmware. The only way to maintain root access after on Android 4.1 is to utilize Voodoo OTA RootKeeper app, since official JB OTA doesn’t format completely the system partition.
This time we’ll provide you with a simple guide on how to keep DROID RAZR HD/MAXX HD (XT926) rooted after receiving official JB OTA update. Bear in mind, don’t forget to complete a backup before making modifications to your device.
Update!! The new root method has come, we’re able to achieve root without downgrade to ICS, learn more here.
Prerequisite, we need to return our devices to the stock firmware. This can be done by flashing stock ICS firmware with RSD Lite. After returning to stock ICS firmware, then run Motofail2Go exploit to gain root access. however, many users are difficult to use RSD Lite, so now we are trying to utilize the DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.10 by mattlgroff.
- Get DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.10 save and extract it on your PC.
- Head to Bootloader Mode by turn off the device and then turn it back on by pressing the following keys at the same time: Vol Up + Vol Down + Power. Once enter into Boot Mode Selection Menu, select AP fastboot and then connect device to the PC.
- Restore to stock: Execute utility and then select “1. Fastboot Restore 0.6.25 (ICS 4.0.4 Official Software)”, please follow the instructions carefully. Once the flash process is complete, unplug the USB cable and turn on phone again.
- Obtaining Root: Enable USB Debugging, then run utility again, select “2. Root for ICS 4.0.4 by djrbliss (Motofail2Go method)” and Pay attention to the order given.
- Unfreeze apps: If you previously did freeze stock apps with Titanium Backup, be sure to unfreeze it, before running OTA.
- Update Superuser app (if any) from Play Store and also update SU binary.
- Get Voodoo OTA RootKeeper, by running Utility and choose “Install Voodoo’s RootKeeper app by supercurio” or from Google Play.
- Open the root keeper app, click the Protect root. After that, tap Temp. un-root button.
- Get Jelly Bean via OTA, head over to Settings > About phone > System update to initiate OTA.
- Open Voodoo OTA Root Keeper app and hit the Restore root button, after that now your Motorola DROID RAZR HD/MAXX HD running stock JB and rooted.