If you are an LG device user, you might familiar with the root utility like towelroot by geohot, ioroot by autoprime or stump root. Almost all of these utilities take advantage of vulnerabilities that exist in our phone current software version. However, when LG released a new OTA update which brings security patches that were previously used by these tools, then you will not be able to use these tools again to achieve superuser on a newer software version, until it’s updated or new tools have been found.
Fortunately, we have a lot of talented Android developers scattered around the world, as one of the developers from Korea who managed to find a new root script for some many LG devices. Initially he developed the script to gain root on the Korean version of LG G2 running Android 5.0 Lollipop, it turns out that the script is also able to provide root on more LG smartphones.
UPDATE !! The root script also available in Easy One-Click Script for faster and easy rooting.
This script / tool is not as easy as the previous utility, it’s not a one-click tool, since you have to execute some commands. However, we believe, even a newbie can do it because you only need to run basic adb commands in windows CMD. There are about 10 steps you should undertake, most of which is done on a computer and you only need to connect your device via USB cable.
- Download the LG Root toolkit.
- Install the latest USB drivers for your LG phone.
- An OEM USB cable that came with your phone.
- Unencrypted device and USB debugging enabled.
- A computer with Windows OS, Linux and Mac OS X users can also use the script, but with some customization.
- Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x86/32bit or x64/64bit, sometimes you need 32bit though your computer is 64bit.
The guide, based on Unjustified_Dev’s thread on xda forums, we only summarize it here. But if you want to get the complete guide with step by step screenshots, just head to the original thread on xda-developers.com.
- Extract the LG root toolkit into a new folder.
- From inside the folder, hold Shift key and right-click any empty area and choose “Open command window here”.
- Connect the phone to the computer via USB cable.
- Check the adb connection by typing the following command and your device should be listed:
- Now we need to push some root files to the device:
adb.exe push busybox /data/local/tmp/ && adb.exe push lg_root.sh /data/local/tmp && adb.exe push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp
- Put your device into download mode. Turn off the device first, then hold the volume up button and plug the USB cable. However, the download mode method may vary from device to device.
- Determine the COM port used by the phone, back to the toolkit folder and double-click the “ports.bat”, look for the DIAG port.
- Once the active COM port identified, let’s begin the root procedure. We need to run the “Send_Command.exe” with CMD, run this command (change the COM4 part with your own active port):
- Now run the closing command and the most important part:
sh /data/local/tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp/busybox
- Pull out the battery to leave download mode.