Google has released the latest version of KitKat – Android 4.4.3 a few days ago, soon after that several Google Play Edition (GPE) and Nexus devices have received the update, including the Samsung Galaxy S4 GPE. Obviously this could make the non-GPE users jealous, as they should be patiently wait if they want to get this update. As we know, a GPE device does not need to go through several specific phases that must be passed before getting the Android 4.4.3, unlike the AT&T Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) which must be carried out carrier certification procedure from the A&T Wireless Team.
The main goal of Android 4.4.3 release is fixing several KitKat bugs that we commonly encounter in the previous releases. Some fixes you could get is data connection dropouts, random reboot, Wi-Fi auto-connect bug, camera focus and HDR mode bug and many other glitches. So after updating your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) to Android 4.4.3 you can expect a better and stable KitKat experience.
For those who cannot wait to wait for the official Android 4.4.3 to be released on AT&T Galaxy S4, you can try to flash the official ROM GPE by Danvdh from xda. He has ported the latest build of Google’s official Galaxy S4 Play Edition (I9505-G) ROM, he also adds numerous tweaks to the ROM as well as useful tools to make it as close as possible to the GPE phone.
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone.
- Running CWM or TWRP custom recovery, for those with Safestrap recovery, it wouldn’t work.
- The battery indicator shows more than 50% of battery capacity.
- Get a flashable djrbliss’ Loki patch.
- Download the Galaxy S4 GPE ROM from xda.
Update your AT&T Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4.3 with Google Edition ROM
Before carrying out the flashing procedure, make sure you have working Nandroid backup, to avoid the bad things that might take place during the flashing process or thereafter.
- Put the GPE ROM you’ve downloaded in the SD card.
- Boot into custom recovery (CWM or TWRP), hold Volume up + Home + Power key for a couple of seconds.
- From the main menu, tap an option to Wipe your phone, then choose a Full Wipe.
- Back to main menu, choose an option to Instal from SD card, then point to GPE ROM you’ve downloaded before and flash.
- Unlike the other variants, you need to Loki patch the AT&T variant. Once successfully flash the ROM, you should directly flash the loki-doki.zip.
- Reboot and profit. Your AT&T Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) should run Android 4.4.3 KitKat now, give the ROM’s kernel a couple days to settle.