Now we will provide tips on how to use adb/fastboot on Windows and Mac without installing the Android SDK. Many novice users don’t realize if adb and fastboot has been used in the process of modifying their android device. Such as in the rooting with one-click solution, adb is commonly used to inject su binaries and superuser app inside your device, you will be able to find out these files (adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll or AdbWinUsbApi.dll) inside the one-click rooter.
Fastboot in the android modding, used for unlocking/relocking bootloader, flashing custom recovery, flashing kernel, wipe system paritition and more. Unlike adb that can be used when the phone is turned on, fastboot can only be used when the phone is in bootloader mode. To use fastboot you should have a file fastboot.exe.
Here is a short guide to use adb and fastboot without the Android SDK
- Grab standalone adb & fastboot package Windows, and Mac OS X/Linux. For those who unable to use fastboot on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, you can download the drivers, Windows only.
- Just install the exe file or extract the zip file into your computer’s hard drive.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone’s Settings menu.
- Connect your computer with the device via USB.
To find out if adb was working fine, now we’ll try it on Windows.
- Open the folder where you extract your zip file, press the shift key on the keyboard, then point your mouse pointer on a blank area of the Windows Explorer and right-click, select “Open command window here” menu.
- Try to type the following basic commands:
When you have working adb then you will get a message similar to the following.* Daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* Daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
[Your device serial number] device
To use it on a Mac you need to navigate to the adb/fastboot folder via Terminal Window.
- Type CD command to go to the folder where you extract the zip package (Desktop folder, as an example)
- Type basic commands below:
You’ll get the same message as the windows version.