Although it new released cell phone, Motorola Photon Q has been able to gain root access, thanks to the dev from xda with username shabbypenguin for the hard work. He has successfully modified ClockWorkMod/CWM recovery, so it can work with Photon Q 4G LTE (XT897), with this custom recovery we can flash SuperSU app which allows you to acquire root access, not only that we can also flash custom kernels or ROMs.
The main requirement to flash CWM recovery is unlocked bootloader, luckily this phone has been supported by Moto Unlock Tool, and for those who are unfamiliar with unlocking bootloader you can see the guide here.
Here we provide a guide on how to gain root access on Sprint Motorola Photon Q (Asanti).
- Download the custom recovery (cwmrecovery.img) made by Shabbypenguin.
- Enter bootloader mode, turn off your phone first and then turn on by pressing and holding three buttons (vol down + vol up + power button) for a few seconds. After getting into bootlader scroll down and select ‘AP fastboot’, then connect device with a USB cable.
- Open ‘platform-tools’ folder (Android SDK) with Windows Explorer, hold down the shift key + right click on the mouse and choose ‘Open command window here’.
- You should check connection between your phone and PC by running this command, and if the connection is successful it will display the serial number of your phone.
- Flash CWM recovery by typing this command:
- After successfully flash custom recovery, then download SuperSU app and copy it into SDcard.
- Go to the bootloader using the key combination in step two, scroll down and select ‘Recovery’ menu and you will get into CWM Recovery.
- In CWM use camera button to select, power button to back, vol up to scroll up and vol down to scroll down. Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ > ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and pick SuperSU apps you’ve downloaded.
- After flash finished, Go Back and reboot.
You should have root access now, just try to install Titanium Backup Root or root checker apps on Play Store, for updates head to original thread.