HTC is known as developer-friendly Android manufacturer, they provide an opportunity for its users to mods their devices, these proven by the availability of the online bootloader unlocker, officially via HTCDev.com, which is currently crowded by advanced users who desire to achieve root access.
However, once unlocked via HTCDev method, you might notice a red text on your HTC One M8 that says “This build is for development purposes only …”, you can find this red text under the HTC logo upon rebooting. Not just that, you also will see a TAMPERED banner when you boot into bootloader mode.
We do not know for sure why HTC does this, maybe to make its users think twice before unlocking the bootloader. Luckily, there is a developer – santod040, who built a modified HBOOT, he simply hex edited the HBOOT to remove ‘development purposes’ red text from HTC One M8 screen. The mods have been tried and reportedly working on several variants of HTC One M8, including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Rogers CA, and International models.
- S-OFF, we need it to replace hboot, do not do it if your phone still S-ON.
- Update your HTC One M8 USB drivers to the latest version (if any).
- Working fastboot on your PC.
- Download the modified hboot image from santod040’s thread on xda, make sure you choose the file that matches with your phone models and hboot version.
Remove ‘development purposes’ red text from HTC One M8
- Copy the modified hboot file to the fastboot folder, make sure you find a ‘fastboot.exe’ file there.
- On your PC, go to fastboot folder and start CMD window from there, hold shift + right click, then choose ‘Open command window here’ option.
- Put your HTC One M8 into fastboot mode, (Vol Down + Power button then choose FASTBOOT).
- Link up your device into the computer thru USB cable.
- Firstly, we need to put your device into RUU mode:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
- Once boots into RUU mode, now run a command below to flash modified hboot, the flash process halts at around 75% to 90% on the phone screen, check the CMD result before reboot to ensure it’s safe to restart the M8.
fastboot flash zip filename_hboot.zip
- After successful now reboot into the bootloader:
If all the steps above give good results, the ‘development purposes’ red text should go away from your HTC One M8. If you have any concerns or difficulties you can directly ask to the dev’s thread on xda.