Not as we thought before, the development of the new flagship smartphone – the LG G2 is pretty active, it can be seen from the support from developers who released custom recovery for the LG G2 and also a few mods and custom ROMs to get the most out of this smartphone. We were a little surprised, because the development of LG devices is not very active, the LG G2 users must say thanks to Dan Rosenberg (djrbliss) for the loki – the set of tools for creating and flashing a custom recovery, and also to thecubed for the ioroot exploit.
Until now the only custom recovery available is TWRP, the TeamWin has built the recovery for all major LG G2 variants. The custom recovery is essential for flashing custom ROMs or kernels, but it also allows us to install any mods without effort, so we don’t need to install mods manually using adb or root file manager.
Here is the guide originally from wacomalt@xda on how to install TWRP recovery on LG G2 (VZW, AT&T, T-Mo and KT variants) . There are several ways to install TWRP on our device, but this time we will show you how to do it manually with adb and using flashify app, and as always be sure to have a backup of your important data just in case.
- Make sure root can work well by trying to open the app that requires root privileges.
- Download TWRP image file (*.img) here, be sure to download file for your specific carrier: VZW (g2vzw), T-Mobile (g2tmo), AT&T (g2att). And also always pick the latest version .
- Flash the image file via ADB:
- If your computer hasn’t ever run adb commands before you can follow a guide to set up adb for Windows, OSX or Linux.
- Move twrp recovery image (openrecovery-twrp-184.108.40.206-g2xxx.img) has been downloaded to the adb folder.
- Sownload loki (loki-master.zip) from djrbliss Github then extract it, locate loki_flash inside bin folder, and move it into adb folder, same folder as twrp image files.
- Run the following command. (Note: change the “xxx” with the image file that you’ve downloaded)
adb push loki_flash /data/local/tmp/loki_flash
adb push openrecovery-twrp-220.127.116.11-g2vzw.img /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-xxxx.img
If you don’t see a # prompt, type su to gain root access.cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 777 loki_flash
./loki_flash recovery /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-22.214.171.124-xxxx.img
adb reboot recovery
When there’s no error message, then your phone will reboot into TWRP main menu.
For those who are not familiar with adb commands, you can try to use flashify to install TWRP recovery on LG G2. Download Flashify (for root users) from Play Store and Flash recovery image you downloaded in step 2. After having TWRP recovery now try to the make a full backup, flash a mod or even a custom ROM.