Sometimes, we wish the latest version of Android OS running on our smartphone. However, since manufacturers cannot always provide it, then we had to install the open-source Android-based custom ROM like CyanogenMod. Restoring Galaxy Mega back to stock will change the modified software with the Samsung’s official stock software, all mods you ever do will be wiped out and replaced with the original one. If you do this for warranty purpose, then most likely your claim will be accepted by the Samsung Service Center.
Not only useful for restoring our smartphones to its original condition, flashing official firmware with Odin is also good to unbrick Galaxy Mega and bring it to life. Here are some steps you ought to do to return Galaxy Mega back to stock, should work on all variants Including AT&T, Sprint, MetroPCS or other variant, depending on the availability of the stock firmware. Be sure to make a backup of important data before flashing.
- Get the Odin flash tool, you don’t have to use the latest version of Odin because sometimes the older version is more compatible.
- Download the stock Galaxy Mega firmware, the firmware is uniquely made for your device, each variant has different firmware.
- Setup the device drivers, this is required so that the Odin recognizes your device.
Samsung Galaxy Mega back to stock by using Odin
- Go to where you saved the firmware file with the *.zip extension, extract it by using 7zip or other tools, you will find a file with the *.md5 extension.
- Pick the Odin version you wish, then run the Odin executable file by double-clicking it.
- If you are using Odin v3.07 or older version then you can press the PDA button, but if you prefer to use the v.3.09 then you should hit the AP button. Now point to where you extract the firmware file.
- On Option section uncheck the “Repartition”, but make sure the “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time” options are checked.
- Turn off your device, then turn it on by pressing and hold Vol down + Home + Power button all at once, then hit Vol up when you see a warning message.
- Attach the device to the computer by using a USB cable, a stock shipped USB cable that comes with the device is recommended. You should see your device recognized by Odin.
- Hit the Start button found at the bottom, then the flashing process to restore the Galaxy Mega back to stock will begin. A flash process takes place in minutes and depending on the size of the firmware file.
- Once Odin flash has finished, you will see PASS! message, and the device will automatically reboot. Once fully boot up, you will be prompted to reset the settings like logging into the Google account.