Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535) is getting old, this smartphone was introduced nearly two years ago but it’s still widely used although not as popular as when it was released, maybe that’s why Samsung still provides an OS upgrade to Android 4.3 with I535VRUCML1 software version, which could be the last update.
For Android enthusiast, the OTA update could be new challenge, since it brings new bootloader and KNOX security features that will make the S3 a bit more challenging to get root on Verizon Galaxy S3 running ML1 (Android 4.3 Jelly Bean).
Fortunately, a fortune seems to still be on our side, because we can still have superuser access on VZW Galaxy S3 running ML1 software from the OTA update. Thanks to k1mu, a dev from xda who found the exploit, he built a tool called “Saferoot” which allows us to regain root after taking the Android 4.3 software update. Although it originally created specifically for the Verizon Galaxy S4 but it can also work great on an older device, including the S3.
- In order to have working adb connectivity, we have to enable USB Debugging on our smartphone.
- If you are using an older KIES to setup the drivers, it seems you have to install the new KIES 3, it is required by Samsung device running Android 4.3 firmware.
- Grab the Saferoot exploit here by k1mu.
VZW Galaxy S3 ML1 root (Android 4.3) by employing Saferoot tool
- Extract the downloaded Saferoot file on your computer with WinZip or 7zip software.
- Once unzipped, you will see two files (install.bat and install.sh) as well as a folder named “files”.
- Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer via USB, make sure the device is recognized by your PC, you verify it by head to Windows Device Manager.
- Now execute the “install.bat” by double-clicking the file.
- The tool will try to test adb usability, if it’s recognized the procedure to gain superuser privileges will begin.
It didn’t require much time for Saferoot to regain root on Verizon Galaxy S3 running Android 4.3 (ML1 software version), after successfully rooted your phone will automatically reboot and you will see a new app called SuperSU, open it then finish the installation.