HTC One (M7) is the new HTC’s flagship phone for 2013, and available this month in certain countries. In the U.S. the phone will be available at top U.S. wireless carriers (including AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile) and also rumoured to be available on the Verizon network. This phone is the first phone from HTC with a full aluminium body and double front speakers (BoomSound). Besides HTC One also comes with new features such as Sense 5 with Zoe that brought your photo to life, and also Blinkfeed that makes you always updated on the social network.
Just as prior HTC phones, achieve root on HTC One (M7) might take a long time since it involves several processes such as unlock bootloader, install CWM recovery and flash root exploit. It is standard procedure to get root access on HTC Android phones, so there is no one-click solution for this.
Here is the normal method that you should do in order to root HTC One (M7), working with all versions (AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile). Also could work on Verizon versions when they become available.
- The initial step to gain root access is to unlock device’s bootloader, unlock process can be done by visiting HTCDev.com, which officially supported by HTC. For a complete guide to unlock via HTCDev check out this article. Do not let yourself confused if you can’t find out HTC One (M7) on supported device lists, just choose “All Other Supported Models”.
- Grab root exploit, you can choose between SuperSU or Superuser, copy into device’s memory.
- After successfully unlocking the bootloader, now we have to install a custom recovery, which useful to flash root exploit into the device’s system partition. Grab TWRP or CWM recovery, simply select the appropriate recovery below for your phone, please don’t cross flashing.
- Get fastboot files here, extract and then open the folder (Don’t forget to move recovery.img you’ve downloaded before into this folder), open the CMD window by pressing shift + right mouse click and then choose the Open command window here.
- Enter into bootloader mode, by turning off the phone and then turn it on again by pressing power button + volume down key at the same time. Upon entry into the Bootloader menu, select FASTBOOT.
- Connect HTC One (M7) to PC via USB cable, and the phone will switch to FASTBOOT USB menu.
- Type the following command to flash the CWM recovery, depending on your downloaded recovery file name, in this guide we rename it to “recovery.img”.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- After a successful flash recovery, now turn off your phone and turn it on into Bootloader mode just like step 4. Upon entry into the bootloader menu select RECOVERY menu. You will head to the CWM recovery main menu, select Install zip from SD card and find the root exploit file you have downloaded before (step 3), and flash it and reboot.
- Now we already have root access on HTC One (M7), now try to install Titanium Backup to the make a full backup.