The Rogers, Telus and Bell Galaxy S4 (I337M) has received an OTA update in the middle of last month with the Build number I337MVLUAMG1, this update can be said a minor update that brings several bug fixes and additional features. Most visible change is the status bar, the new update makes it transparent, looks way better now. Additionally this update also brings App2SD feature back, but unfortunately when tested, not all apps can be moved to SD card.
As occurred on the U.S. variants of the Galaxy S4, when you decide to receive the OTA update, then there’s a chance you will lose root privileges. If you previously used the one click root tool, then after you do the firmware update to MG1, the tool can’t be used again to gain root access.
Fortunately there are other methods that can root Canadian Galaxy S4 (I337M) that runs MG1 firmware (I337MVLUAMG1 Baseband), by using CF-Auto-Root by Chainfire, though not as easy as oneclick tool since it requires a PC and Odin flashtool, but this method has to be tried .
- Grab CF-Auto-Root from Chainfire’s site, make sure you choose the right file for I337M, the file name is “CF-Root-Auto-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.zip”, then extract the file so you will get a file with tar.md5 extension.
- Get Odin3 flashtool that useful for flashing above file in our smartphone. Extract the file, select the latest version of Odin (v3.07), and run the executable (.exe) file, make sure Re-partition is unchecked in Options.
- Put our Canadian Galaxy S4 into download mode (Turn off the device first, then press and hold the Volume down + Home + Power button).
- Connect the phone to the PC thru USB, make sure the Odin recognizes our phone.
- Press the PDA button in Odin3 and find the file CF-Root-Auto-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.tar.md5, which downloaded before.
- Now hit the Start button.
After the flash is successful, our phones will reboot automatically. Our Canadian (Rogers, Bell and Telus) Galaxy S4 should rooted now. To confirm, try opening the SuperSU app, update the SU binaries then get a Root Checker app from Google Play Store to verify it.