As you may know the new Kindle Fire HD 7 come with locked bootloaders, so many folks believe that this device will be hard to modify. However it is not entirely true, since today a developer with username Jcase from xda have managed to get root access on the Kindle Fire HD 7″. He makes use of a super user exploit developed by sparkym3 for Asus Transformer Prime, he got SU only with ADB command, without custom recovery that can’t be installed on this Amazon’s tablet.
Update: there’s an easy way to root your device without typing a long adb command by using Qemu Automated Root tool.
Connecting Kindle Fire HD 7 to ADB (Android Debug Bridge)
- Download Kindle Fire ADB drivers from here, after that install it on your PC.
- Activate ADB on your kindle, from notification area choose more > security and then turn on ADB.
- Since this root tutorial utilizing ADB, you are advised to install Android SDK on your computer, in case you’re not familiar with this, follow a guide to setup ADB.
- After that you have to connect your Kindle with ADB using USB cable, go to “platform-tools” folder on Android SDK installation, press and hold Shift key and then right-click and choose “Open command window here”.
- To check whether the connection between the device and adb is correct, run the following command:
if it has been connected properly, then your kindle serial number will show up.
- In case the command shows nothing, you can try to run this command:
Step by step how to root Kindle Fire HD 7
- Download the root exploit file in zip, extract it using 7zip or WinZip. Copy the “su” file (on /system/bin/) and “Superuser.apk” (on /sytem/app/) to “platform-tools” folder.
- This is the most important part of the whole process, return to the command prompt and run this command on your PC:
rm -r /data/local/tmp
ln -s /data/ /data/local/tmp
adb rebootadb shell
echo ‘ro.kernel.qemu=1′ > /data/local.prop
adb rebootadb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
adb push su /system/xbin/su
chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
- The final part is to install the Super User app, make sure Superuser.apk is in the folder and run this command:
adb install Superuser.apk