Droid RAZR HD / RAZR Maxx HD (XT926) were GSM unlocked, but no AT&T and T-Mobile

For those who regularly travel abroad, Verizon Droid RAZR HD / RAZR Maxx HD would probably meet your needs, since this phone is GSM unlocked, so you can use a local SIM card while traveling outside the U.S. However, if you’re planning to purchase this device and then want to use any GSM provider in the U.S. such as T-Mobile or AT&T you will be disappointed, because it seems Verizon Wireless has locked the ability to use the smartphone with U.S. GSM carriers.

When you pop a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM card into the phone, it will recognize the SIM card and number without an unlocking code required, but it states that the SIM card is invalid, the GSM won’t do anything no call, data or text message.

razr hd maxx xt926 gsm unlock

Image Credit: Motorola/Verizon

As we know that Verizon has won the 700MHz spectrum, so they should keep all their 4G LTE devices unlocked, as they do on Apple iPhone 5 that can be used with any GSM carriers. We can only hope that the XT926 becomes a popular device, which can force Verizon to allow this device to work with any GSM carriers in the U.S.

Filled Under:News
Related Mods

25 Responses

1. xilte
    November 1, 2012 at 8:01 AMReply

Is it also UMTS unlocked for overseas carriers?

• Fridza
      November 3, 2012 at 10:40 AMReply

Yes, all overseas carriers should work.

2. Yousef
    November 2, 2012 at 10:13 PMReply

Are you sure it will work internationally? Like in the Middle East?

• Fridza
      November 3, 2012 at 10:47 AMReply

My friend had contacted Verizon last week, and they confirmed that it’s GSM unlocked.

These are the bands that the Droid RAZR HD and MAXX HD support :
      CDMA 800 1900, LTE B13, WCDMA 850 900 1900 2100, GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 EVDO Rev. A, HSDPA 21.1 Mbps (Cat 14), HSUPA 5.76 Mbps.

If your carrier supports one of the above bands, most likely you can use it in your country.

• xilte
        November 3, 2012 at 6:34 PMReply

Frizda,

Thank you for the information!

• Yousef
        November 5, 2012 at 3:26 AMReply

Thanks Friday. I talked to Motorola and they told me I need an unlock code from Verizon. Is that true? Or will it automatically work when I put local Sim cards when travelling?

3. Nazir
    November 8, 2012 at 12:47 PMReply

well I tried using this phone with a Vodafone SIM in INDIA and gets network and data restricted. Pretty much cant use it in India.

• Fridza
      November 17, 2012 at 5:53 PMReply

That’s weird, have you tried changing your APN settings ?

• sharan
        November 27, 2012 at 2:31 PMReply

Hi with the APN setting you can access data but no the Voice network , which i thought was odd!

• ram
          December 26, 2012 at 1:27 PMReply

hi nazir, have you figured out how to get this working on vodafone? where are you based in india?

• sharan
      November 27, 2012 at 2:30 PMReply

Hi Nazir were you able to figure out how to use the phone in india ?

4. Yousef
    November 21, 2012 at 6:41 PMReply

It works in Bahrain. Have been using it for past few days.

5. Rich
    November 27, 2012 at 10:23 AMReply

I am using the Droid Razr Maxx HD in Korea on SK Telecom. However I had to build the APN from the one on my old phone, because the ones on by default were locked and wouldn’t allow a data connection. I am now getting a message that “Ciphering is not available on your network. Phone calls and/or cellular data will be unencrypted.” Any ideas on how to correct this or unlock the original APNs?

6. am
    December 20, 2012 at 6:51 PMReply

Worked with SIM in nepal, but no SIM’s worked in India. Very disappointing. Roamed fine everywhere but the roaming data speed was terrible in India. Cost $25 per 100 mb plan with Verizon, but 125k speed or slower.

• patel
      December 23, 2012 at 3:46 AMReply

I am in India… The Razr Maxx HD I have work on calling and 3G on bsnl (for 3G I needed to change APN settings). When I put in a vodafone sim and vodafone APN my 3G works but Calling never works… I cant figure this out, it has been over a week…

• ram
        December 26, 2012 at 1:26 PMReply

hi patel, have you figured out how to get this working on vodafone? where are you based in india?

• Ozii91
        March 19, 2013 at 10:05 PMReply

Hey ,, one of my friends gna ship dis phn to me.. i am on Airtel.. plz guys help me out and yoslvz too lol… plz make a fix to it and if anybody gets this workin in INDIA ,, plz do share it plz ….thnxx

7. Patel
    January 20, 2013 at 1:46 AMReply

Hi, I have changed phones and this still doesnt work… New phone even bsnl is not working :(

• Ozii91
      March 19, 2013 at 10:11 PMReply

i think u must switch network from gsm to wcdma , in network options , hope this may help..

8. zukonozi
    April 25, 2013 at 8:05 AMReply

If I buy the Verizon Droid razr maxx hd, will it work here in Singapore? Until now they havent released it here in asia. I hope soon. Its getting late.

• whoover
      April 29, 2013 at 2:38 PMReply

A lot of the confusion here is due to people not understanding that the US phones that Verizon sells must be activated on a US Verizon account. THEN they will work with non-US GSM SIMs. Unless the phone has been activated in the US it will not work. It also won’t accept US-carrier GSM SIMs.

• charles
      April 30, 2013 at 9:21 AMReply

Hey dude, i’ve been using the Droid Razr HD for about a month now with Singtel in Singapore. Everything works fine. U will need to manually input your Singtel APN Settings. Then you will need to root your Droid Razr HD in order to be able to use Tethering because Verizon has locked tethering to subscription payment only. Once you root, you will be able to change the Tethering settings to disable subscription.

Just to note before you buy, you need to get the GSM model of the Droid Razr MAXX HD. I made a mistake by buying the Droid Razr HD XT926 which is a CDMA model. I should have gotten the XT925 which is a GSM model. The only problem with a CDMA model phone on Singtel is that I cant get Singtel LTE. Only 3G, HSDPA and HSDPA+ is the fastest network you can use. Find out the Droid Razr MAXX HD GSM model number and buy the correct version. Have fun!

• Kaz
        June 24, 2013 at 12:06 AMReply

XT926 is razr hd maxx, no? wherelse XT925 is just razr hd

9. saeed
    April 5, 2014 at 4:46 PMReply

How i remove this Msg ““Ciphering is not available on your network. Phone calls and/or cellular data will be unencrypted.”
    Secondly, Telenor Edge is work so slow on Motorola Razr XT926, reason ?

10. ANKIT TYAGI
    November 23, 2014 at 11:09 PMReply

i am using motrola xt926 rooted, but i want to use mobile hotspot with Airtel SIm In DELHI (INDIA ).
    all verizon apps were deleted from mobile but still it asking for verzion subscription in mobile hotspot,
    Plase Help me