Every android device, including the HTC One Max has a recovery mode, unfortunately the stock recovery has limited capabilities, so we can’t flashing any mods including root exploit, custom ROM or do a full ROM backup with the stock one. So to be able to mod our device we need a custom recovery, so far there are two custom recovery available for HTC One Max: ClockworkMod (CWM) and TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP), both have nearly identical so it’s depending on your decision, each folks have different choices.
HTC One Max is a phablet device with sleek aluminum body, it also comes with excellent hardware specs: Quad-core CPU and 2GB of RAM on 5.9-inch display. Excellent hardware should also supported by an excellent software, unfortunately the One Max is still running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, not the latest one Android 4.4 KitKat. That is why we need a custom recovery, since it might help us to feel the newest Android OS.
For those who are interested to replace HTC One Max stock recovery with CWM or TWRP recovery, we have to do it manually via fastboot command:
- Download CWM or TWRP recovery from the developer thread on xda, the recovery file should have img extension.
- Setup fastboot on your computer, don’t worry no installation needed.
- Now copy the custom recovery file you’ve downloaded into fastboot folder, rename it to recovery.img (optional, only make you easier to type the command).
- We need to put HTC One Max into fastboot mode. Shut off the device, now press volume down key + power button together, the device will turn on to Bootloader mode, from there choose FASTBOOT.
- Attach the device to computer via USB cable.
- Open Windows CMD from fastboot folder, then type the following command and hit enter.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
After successfully writing a custom recovery, to get into CWM or TWRP mode you have to go to the bootloader main menu (step 4) and select the RECOVERY option.